Is your home experiencing any of the following?
- High energy bills
- Noticeable seasonal temperature effects
- Strain on your HVAC system
It may be time to have the insulation in your home evaluated. Removing old fiberglass insulation can be a costly project. Many homeowners have been wondering if there is a more cost-effective solution for fortifying their insulation.
The Answer Is Simple: Yes
It is possible to reinforce old insulation, simply by placing new insulation over the existing installment.
ENERGY STAR® lists that new insulation can be placed over old insulation unless the existing insulation is wet or contains high levels of moisture. Moisture is the result of damage or a leak that will need to be repaired prior to the replacement or replenishing project. If left unattended, moisture will lead to mold or mildew in the insulation, and it will need to be replaced.
While the addition of new insulation over your old insulation is possible, there are several stipulations and circumstances to be aware of before beginning. According to ENERGY STAR:
- “Faced” insulation should not be placed on top of existing insulation in the attic. Any new roll or batt insulation installed over existing insulation in the attic needs to be without a vapor retarder (face). The vapor retarder on top of or between layers of insulation can trap moisture. Any existing batt or roll insulation in the attic should have the facing against the attic drywall floor or no facing at all.
- Batt or rolled insulation or blown loose-fill insulation (fiberglass or cellulose) can be installed on top of the old insulation.
- Insulation should be rolled out perpendicular to the joists—and unfaced rolls should be used.
- Rolled insulation should not be tacked down. The R-value can be reduced if the insulation is squashed or flattened.
- It’s recommended to air seal before installing insulation since air leaks can hinder the performance of insulation and significantly reduce the energy efficiency and comfort of your home.
Hire a Professional to Install New Insulation
Insulation applications, whether fiberglass or foam, can be tricky and very involved. Thankfully, the local professionals from Gold Star Insulation are here to help! Not only are we ready to answer any questions you may have about your insulation, but we are ready to handle your entire installation project for you!
All successful projects start with strong and reliable products. We use the most trusted brands in the industry, such as Owens Corning, CertainTeed, Thermax and Fi-Foil for all of our installations.
Our Insulation Services
Here at Gold Star Insulation, we complete insulation installation for all residential situations in Sacramento and the surrounding areas. Whether new construction or replacement, we have the team for the job.
Our retrofit projects are some of our favorite installs! Each project presents a new challenge that our team can tackle. If you are a homeowner and your insulation is outdated and ineffective, give us a call!
For an assessment or to speak with a representative about more of our insulation service, give us a call at (916) 229-8445 or contact us online!