Although we don’t see too many frigid temperatures here in the Sacramento area, as the summer ends, you may be thinking of ways to save on your energy bills. Sufficient insulation is one of the most basic elements of an energy-efficient home.
Is your house properly insulated? As one of the biggest sources of air leaks, the walls hold a lot of potential. Exterior wall insulation is important when it comes to thermal efficiency and year-round comfort.
What Is the Best Insulation for Exterior Walls?
All exterior walls should be insulated, including foundation walls (above ground and in heated basements) and walls between living spaces and an unconditioned garage or shed roof. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, your best exterior wall insulation options are:
- Blown-in insulation (can be added to exterior walls without a lot of disturbance to finished areas in the home)
- Two-part spray foam or wet spray cellulose (for open wall cavities during a remodel)
- Injectable spray foam (for wall cavities that won’t be open)
While blanket insulation tends to be a more affordable option, it won’t provide as much air sealing and thermal efficiency as spray foam. Insulated concrete blocks and rigid foam are often used for new homes being built.
It’s also recommended to “consider using insulating wall sheathing” for high efficiency. Foam sheathing:
- Provides a continuous layer of insulation, which helps save energy and improve comfort
- Helps protects against condensation on the inside wall by keeping it warmer
- Usually costs less than plywood or oriented strand board (OSB)
Sacramento Area Wall Insulation Installers
If you’re in the Sacramento, California area, Gold Star Insulation can help! We have experience installing insulation in interior and exterior walls, and our professionals use only high-quality materials from leading manufacturers. Get in touch with us to learn more about our insulation services or if you’re ready to start your project—call us at 916-229-8445 or fill out the form on this page!